Saturday, August 27, 2011

We're wasting our lives

As I grow in my faith in Jesus Christ, I’ve found myself in the past 12 months yearning to read – the Bible and books by respected Christian authors.

Two that I’m currently reading now have really spurred me to share my thoughts.

They are “Don’t Waste Your Life” by John Piper and “It’s Not About Me” by Max Lucado.

I’m not through either book, but it hasn’t taken me long to realize how connected the themes of these two books are.

I’m wasting my life if I’m striving to make it all about me.

What makes this statement hard to digest for many people is that Christian and non-Christian parents are raising their children that way, and the world reaffirms the notion that life somehow revolves around each individual, supporting each person’s strive for personal greatness.

“Why is that wasteful?” some of you may ask. I like how Lucado illustrates it. If an orchestra was full of musicians who wanted it to be all about them, they would ignore the maestro and the music wouldn’t sound very melodious.

Think about that and ask yourself why the world looks the way it does. We’ve got millions of people looking out only for themselves, not caring about who they step on or how their actions affect other people as they pursue their own dreams and ambitions at all costs.

It’s really millions of people wasting their lives chasing something they may never get. And even if they do reach some goal – whether status, profession, wealth – it’s all finite. You die and it’s gone. Your money can’t buy a first-class ticket to wherever you think you go after death. Your title doesn’t go with you.

Should we all give up pursuits and just live in a one big commune? No. Men and women need to pursue respectable careers that will support their families and children. But it’s how they do it and live it out that needs to change.

How does that look? How do we not waste our lives? We’ve got to first recognize that there is a maestro. We’re in God’s orchestra and we’re called to put our faith in His Son, Jesus Christ.

How do you not waste your life? I don’t make much of me. You don’t make much of you. We make much of Jesus.

And I know what you’re thinking. Christianity appears divisive, pushing people apart more than together.

While I won’t disagree that this happens, you have to look at why and where this is taking place. The answer is in churches that aren’t preaching the Bible. In churches that aren’t emphasizing the importance of spending time in prayer and Bible reading.

If I may take Lucado’s orchestra illustration a step further. We as Christians may be in God’s orchestra by putting our faith in Jesus. But are we trying to play the same music?

I don’t mean what we’re singing during worship. I mean, do we, as Christ’s body, have the same sheet music in front of us? Are we practicing our instruments and studying the sheet music – reading scripture and learning sound doctrine – so that when the orchestra plays, it produces a beautiful melody?

Here’s the bottom line. I don’t want to waste my life. And if I focus on making much of Jesus in everything I do – work, school, athletics, fantasy football, family, money, relationships – not only will I not waste my life, but I know will leave a lasting impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment