Monday, September 5, 2011

Start of NFL season prompts self assessment

I remember very vividly, and painfully, as the Pittsburgh Steelers lost AFC Championship games to the San Diego Chargers, Denver Broncos and those blasted New England Patriots.

Growing up just outside the Steel City, black and gold easily becomes your two favorite colors. And, as teenager and college student, those losses hurt.

When the Steelers won Super Bowl XL in February 2006, it was exciting. And it was great to see them win a second a couple years later.

But I’ll tell ya, something is different. Will I watch the games? Sure. Will I root the team from my couch, dressed in a Steelers t-shirt? Yep. Will it matter if they win or lose? Nope.

As my faith in Christ grows, many things I used to be passionate about have dropped way down on my priority list.

On Sunday, Crew pastor Josh Perry went to Psalm 63, which shows Christians what it truly means to live for the Lord.

David writes, “You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.

I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.
I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.

Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.
I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.”

This psalm convicted me to look in the mirror and ask myself if I am earnestly seeking God; if I am thirsting for Him to quench my dry throat; if I consider His love better than life; if I will be satisfied in Him; if I am clinging to Him alone.

Ten years ago, especially this time of year, I can honestly say I was earnestly seeking Sunday afternoon kickoff. I was thirsting for touchdowns. A Super Bowl victory was better than life. And I was clinging to my Terrible Towel.

Five years ago, I was seeking kickoff, but attending church first. I thirsted for God’s message, with a side of football. The Steelers won a Super Bowl, but it wasn’t better than life. And the Terrible Towel was pinned up on the wall instead of waving in my hand (or chewed on during those tense football moments).

In 2011, I watched with excitement as the Steelers faced the Packers in the Super Bowl. But when they lost, I didn’t pout. I didn’t cry (as I did when they lost to Dallas in 1995). I was satisfied with the team’s accomplishments.

As I reflect on my attitude that day, I realize that I’m not who I was 10 years ago.

Today, I listen to a sermon at Crew without looking at my watch. I thirst for post-church gospel community. Jesus is better than life. And I know that I must cling to Him.

Whether you root for the division champion Steelers (again in 2011), the first pick in the 2012 draft Bengals or Marshall’s Thundering Herd, if you would say that you have indeed put your trust in Jesus as your savior, there needs to be some self evaluation this time of year.

It’s easy to put God first from 9 a.m. to noon; however, sadly, it seems to be just as easy to come home and swap your Bible for the favorite team’s jersey.

As much we enjoy sports – football, baseball, hockey and even soccer – they don’t and will never fill the hole in our hearts that was specifically designed to only fit Jesus.

As John Piper is reminding me in his book “Don’t Waste Your Life,” the apostle Paul counted every thing as a loss compared to knowing Christ and Him crucified. Paul even said death was a gain because he knew he would be and is spending eternity with Jesus.

As much as we like football, if we don’t give Christ our full attention, we’ll miss out on opportunities to tell of His glory.

I don’t think we should swear off watching football to sit and read scripture from noon to 11 p.m. each Sunday and pray unceasing every Monday night and some Thursdays late in the season.

We should use football as a means to share the Gospel. God says everything works for His glory.

Besides, can you think of a better way to spend those long TV timeouts?

No comments:

Post a Comment